I was just thinking about a dude from college who used to tell his girlfriend that she looked more beautiful to him everyday and today was tomorrow. Get it? I guess he was trying to persuade her that she was more beautiful than he could articulate, but then again he did articulate it. Why am I saying this? So that you single guys have a sappy line to use on the ladies! Just kidding - you should stay single - that is the Biblical way... WHAT! How do you read your Bible? :)

I have been watching the Democratic National Convention the last few days when the work day is done. I saw Al Sharpton yesterday. That dude is funny and his hair should be a national treasure. He made a comment that said (roughly quoted): "We need to stop trying to control what people are doing in the bedroom and start worrying about putting food on the table in the kitchen!" He got a big cheer for that - and then he basically said the same thing again. It was almost like he accidently said the line again. Anyways - he seems to speak without any regard for facts, but he is entertaining - unlike the drone of many other speakers. I am amazed how people can look so stiff and struggle to look human in front of others... But I guess speaking in front of thousands for many people would be like me getting on my roof. (I am afraid of heights).

QUICK COMMENT POLL:
WHAT FEAR DO YOU HAVE? (heights? dogs? Kiwi's?, etc...)

Today I am running down to Spring Arbor, Michigan to walk through a wedding rehearsal for my buddy Paul. I will enjoy the drive and listen to a talk for the hundreth time by a dude named TIM KELLER. He is from NYC and has a talk on postmodern ministry from the Mars Hill Conference in 1999. That tape has been an incredible tape to mine and grow from in ministry philosphy and his understanding is phenominal. I am going to track down more copies of that tape, but I don't see the average Watermarker getting into it - but those who dig that stuff will like it.

In the tape he works through different models of ministry:
(rough from memory - with some of my terminology)
1. Absorbed model (Where Christians look and act like the culture in everyway - inside and out)
2. Military model (Where Christians fight the surrounding culture and try to institude Christiandom - politics is the method)
3. Subculture model (Where Christians on the outside look pious [no drink, no smoke, etc...] but inside are like the world)
In this model the Christians have their own coffee shops, television, etc... but are not changed inside.
4. Revivalist model (Where Christians get as many people as possible into the church and don't engage in the community.)
In this model the believers are waiting for a movement of God to change the culure and we are just waiting.
5. Countercultural model (Where Christians look on the outside like the culture [not in areas of sin] but inside like Christ.
In this model Christians are active in the community, but live out generosity, humility, peace, joy, etc...

He makes the case for the fifth model. One thing he said that I always could relate to was the fourth model (revivalist). In this model the community's problems were not mine. The public school is going down the tubes, but it is not my problem. I saw myself utterly disconnected from responsibility and involvement in my community. Even in ministry I didn't get involved much in the schools (even as a youth pastor) and cared more about getting them into the church. So I confess I have struggled with many of these, but particularly that one. What do you think?

This is a long post. By the way we bought a mini van. I am now the family man.

Running for House of Representatives in 2016,
sd

Comments

Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog