Tonight I had the unique honor of speaking to our Kiwi staff member: Mr., Rev., Attorney Brett Jones - aka the flying kiwi. It was great connecting with him and hearing all about the exciting work he and Kristin are doing. I really miss them and look forward to seeing them in a month.

I watched Colonial House with my honey. That is a cool show. I really got into the show a few years back when they did "frontier house." Colonial House, like frontier house, follows a group of modern day people trying to make a go of it in the new country of America. I have always wanted to live at those times, because of the sheer exploration factor. There is something inside me that wants to be a pioneer. To travel in uncharted territory. To see places and experience things that haven't been seen or felt. To establish something that wasn't there. So I get to sit back on my davenport (old school word for couch) and take it all in.

Let me transition this desire to starting a church. Church planting is a pioneer venture. Uncharted territory. Finding your way along the way. Establishing something from little. But, I think in watching this show on PBS I see other truths that match up well. For example: the people who signed up for this Colonial House experience probably did not realize the price they would have to pay to survive. In planting - before you start - it can be easy to get "drunk on the dream" and when it actually hits you experience the cost, the toll, the hardwork and the need to push forward. Also, in Colonial House, people had to focus on getting the little things done every day and everyone knowing and fulfilling their role. In planting this is also huge! I always want to see the next big event or see God use a message in a powerful way, but the "little things" - the follow up - the smiles - the prayers - the genuine care and systems needed that may not seem glamorous - make everything possible and set the culture.

Well - I'll stop. Let me link to that program in case you are interested: Colonial House


Time to go to sleep. By the way - speaking of being a pioneer... One of my goals is to be the first chaplain on Mars. I'd like to live there. But my wife made it clear I would be going alone... so, I guess I'll have to wait for a show for that too... :)

sd

Comments

Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog