I had two great conversations today with younger leaders. One is with my friend Josh Jackson whose Blog is listed on my links. The other was with Paul Kind and intern at the church I came from. (Spring Lake Wesleyan: www.slwc.org)
one
Anyways - I will be connecting with Josh every 2 weeks about stuff for mentoring. I usually don't see how I impact him, but I know that I value the time to chat and share and talk about life.

I was again reminded today through my time with these fellas that I have to be investing in people. It is easy to begin to start seeing people as projects to fulfill the vision. These guys may never be a part of Watermark, but the important thing is that they will be involved in the work of God.

When I take time to chat and invest in someone else - I grow big time. The time with these guys gave me a new sense of priority and passion. If you've never set up a mentoring relationship I want to encourage you to do it sometime.

Want a mentor?
1. Identify who you want to meet with. (someone older, someone wiser, someone further, someone different)
2. Identify where you want to grow. (spiritually, emotionally, relationally, skills, etc...)
3. Set up a meeting with that person (go to them, make it easy for them, explain why you want to meet)
Great mentors rarely pursue someone - often they are busy - pull the trigger and pursue them.
4. Have questions ready with a pen and paper handy.
5. At the end ask them about their life and family and pray for them.
6. Set up another time or just have that one meeting (mentors could be a one off thing or a regular thing)

(Thanks to Dennis Jackson for numbers 4-5!)

Want to be a mentor?
1. Identify someone that you see with potential.
2. Set up a time to connect with that person and share with them your belief in them and desire to connect.
3. Establish goals or areas for growth - teach them to come prepared for your meeting.
4. Give them your life, your knowledge, your ideas, your prayers and your support.
5. Have a gift for them handy - keep them learning. (small book or tape or some resource) (thanks again Dennis)

A great book on mentoring is by Josh Jackson and you can probably connect with him about getting some by emailing him at: agent19mil@yahoo.com

I will post more stuff in a second, but this lesson is over! praise God! I don't like being the lesson guy, but this helps me work through stuff. In fact Paul asked me why I blog and I think the reason I do is because it helps me sort out things in my head!

I pray you will find a mentor and be a mentor!

sd

Comments

Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog