One thing I value is being in the community. I can't say this has always been a value for me - in fact it has been growing within me over the past 2 years. Now, as a church planter, it is a necessity (from the way I see it) to be in the community.

So today I spent some time in the community in a shop with a reading area and began to work on my Sunday morning message. Following my reading and note taking I cruised around town.

As I finished my tour I got into my car and realized I have never been trained to "be in the community" in any purposeful manner.

Therefore, I want to think up some key thoughts for all of us who sense a call to a city and pursue being in the community. Here are some first thoughts (which are probably going to be so basic you'll give up reading):
> Pray before you go. Ask God to give you His heart & senses for the community.
> Pray as you go. Pray for people you see, for businesses and for needs as God reveals them.
> Get acquainted. Check out stores and areas you never frequent to become familiar with the
area and the diversity.
> Open your mouth. Don't be afraid to chat to someone you don't know.
Here are some good questions that I've found so far: (from my new to the area perspective)
1. Do you live around here? For how long? What do you enjoy about living here? What
do you wish would change?
2. What's a good place to eat (or another opinion asking question.)
3. Just show interest in them! I like to find out where someone is coming from and who
they are before asking them questions like - do you go to church or know Jesus...
> Have a pen and paper handy. After meeting someone (like an employee) - write down when
and who you met and enough to remember for next time so that you can connect with them
again. Also you can write down your info. if someone wants to get in touch.
> Have a Bible handy. I have a small one I keep in my back pack - as God opens opportunities I
can be ready with His Word.
> Debrief your time - learn from it - pray about it - talk about it.

The key I think is to love the community - not to use it - not to fear it - but to love it. To love it you have to know it. To know it you have to be in it.

Enough of this - time to eat Tater Tots!

sd

Comments

Archive

Show more

Popular posts from this blog