Who is the Dungeons and Dragons dork?

That would be me.
As a middle school/high school student I enjoyed playing D&D. My favorite part was creating characters and seeing how the characters I created come to life in an adventure. I thought it was cool. In fact I played D&D with some of the more "popular" kids in our school.

However, I have found out that D&D is for dorks. On the most recent Alltell commercial they poke fun at D&D through the various dweeby representations of the cell phone companies. Watching "I love the 80's" on VH1 has a 'D&D was for geeks' spot within the show. So - I guess I was and probably still am a geek.

BUT, I want to suggest that a whole new group of people (over five million) are now involved in a game very similar to D&D, but with less dependence on picturing things in the imagination. The new D&D for this generation is, "Second Life." Learn about it at: Second Life.

There are some differences, but some of the same reasons I enjoyed D&D are found in Second Life.

So perhaps in twenty years we'll hear people talking about the dorks that did Second Life. I still think I would dig it, but I find myself too busy with my "first life." :)

Roll the twenty sided dice!
sd

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi. My name is Mark and I'm a Rollplay-a-holic. I have been dice free for 5 days now. ;)

Second Life!?! I got all I can do to handle my first one. Who the heck has time to live a second one?

Oh wait I actually know some people that spend a virtual other life in WOW (World of Warcraft) You know what most of them don't have? KIDS!!

I checked that out though and it is pretty cool, although I have a feeling if I did it, I would be just as broke and stuggling in there too. (Not to mention that living that second life would put a serious hurt on my first life's financial situatations...)

:)
Deur said…
Some day we must play D&D!

Popular posts from this blog