Context.

I think that the context in which we say something makes all the difference.

For example: The guy who recently was shot at the airport for saying he had a "bomb" could say this at the Hub and we would think he was joking around, but at the airport you never even whisper or jokingly say you have a bomb.

In a crowded theater you don't yell "fire."
In a church you don't say a swear word unless you are reading from the King James Bible and talking about donkeys. :)

Any other words in which the context is everything?
sd

Comments

Anonymous said…
Never say: "Who wants cake?" at a Weight Watchers meeting.

And don't ever answer, with any word, the question: Does this make me look fat?"
Steve said…
Pennies. It's fine in North America, not in South America.

Chilito. It was a fine Taco Bell menu item. Not in Mexico.

Love in any language, straight from the heart, pulls us all together never apart. And once we learn to speak it, all the world will hear, love in any language, fluently spoken here.

I'm ashamed I didn't have to look up those lyrics. I knew them by heart.
Dave Deur said…
Don't talk about sex with the kids present...Oh-Oh, I just broke the rule. C'mon!
BJ said…
damn...is OK in NZ but NOT in parts of the US as I found out

The other problem I had was with an incomplete simile expression "sweet as" - many heard an extra "s" in there and wondered...
David Drury said…
This post reminded me of my life verse:

Ge 49:14 - "Issachar is a strong ass couching down between two burdens" (KJV)

Amen
Dave Deur said…
I wonder if Issachar was one of the fellas that Deut. 25:11-12 is talking about???
C-Man said…
I learned that "rapid router" means something COMPLETELY different in Australia!
cityfrog said…
You don't want to say 'fanny' over here too much either.
Anonymous said…
Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

Popular posts from this blog