Is it an experience if I don't Twitter about it?

I had the awesome opportunity to go to the Catalyst One Day event in Granger, IN. The conference featured Craig Groeschel of LifeChurch.TV and Andy Stanley from Northpoint.

During the entire conference: the singing, the teaching, the breaks, and the activities I observed people on iphones and laptops Twittering away...

I like Twittering. It is my new favorite way to "blog" and stay in the loop. I twitter somewhat regularly.

However, I thought it was a little obscene to see guys sitting down engrossed in thumb tapping what was happening while others stood and participated. I may be WAY judgemental on this, but I wonder how much we miss in our attempt to share what is going on.

Remember that question: "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it - does it still make a sound?" Today's version could be: "am I really having an experience if I am not twittering about it?

I like to share what is going on and what I'm thinking with friends. In fact it really makes the experience come alive. But, are we in danger of missing the experience in front of our noses as we enter the tech universe? I guess you could say that it creates a whole new experience. Fair enough. But, I wonder if our addiction to technology creates more of a loss of experience than it provides?

Touch.
Smells.
Sounds.
Sights.
Taste.

All in more than 140 characters!
sd

PS - I still like Twitter and think it rocks so join the journey if you'd like and follow me at: Twitdeur. :)

Comments

Dave Deur said…
Good thoughts. It made me think about another activity that can be similar. When I'm on vacation and the location we're visiting is beautiful, I often spend my time viewing that beauty through the view finder of a camera. Am I missing something while I capture a view finder full for later?

Twittering seems to be "me" focused, unless you're following more people than others follow you.
pwdrd donuts said…
Steve, this is a shameless advertisement (almost shameless...there's a little shame) I've written a book and am trying to get the word out. Want it? It's on my blog if you'd like to take a look. Oh dang, it's been about 2 years in the making but it is DONE! I'm proud, even though the bible says not to be. I'm hopeful that it will...ya know...help people.

Be well. And twitter on.

Matt(bays)

Popular posts from this blog