Vacation is like a band aid.

Vacation is something I look forward to.
I usually feel tired and in a rut by the time a vacation finally rolls around.

So when the vacation begins I find that it takes me at least two-three days to totally wind down, get into a new state of mind, and let things go back home.

When this happens it is like a band aid. I am cut up a bit - worn down - and scabbed up - vacation is placed neatly over my body and soul. For a little while I am aware of the band aid - it feels different - it smells different - I still feel a bit of pain under it - I am a man with a cut in need of a band aid.

But over time I forget about the band aid. I adjust - it seems to be a part of me - natural - doing its healing work... THIS IS WHEN I EMERGE TRULY ON VACATION.

BUT, then I return home. It takes two to three days for me to actually let a vacation work on me, but it seems like an hour after I return home - I am ripped out of the warm cozy womb of vacation and thrown into the cold world of reality - where I am measured, weighed, and spanked so I'll cry and prove I'm alive... Wait - I'm mixing metaphors.

So - you know where this is going don't you? When I return I realize that I have a band aid and it is coming off... So how do you get a band aid off? RIP IT QUICK!

Vacation goes on and comes off like a band aid.

It comes in like a lamb and goes out like a lion.

Back in the pocket,
sd

Comments

Dave Deur said…
Welcome back! A vacation is an extended sabbath and those who take them, benefit greatly...including the kids and spouse of the vacationer.:)
Anonymous said…
Well written article.

Popular posts from this blog