Take a deep cleansing breath.

When I was a kid I enjoyed watching the Detroit Tigers play on television with my dad, my uncles, some cousins, and my grandpa Van Wieren. The game was filled with names like Trammell, Parish, and Morris. One other name always seemed to find its way to the end of the game when everything seemed to matter more. That name was Gibson. Kirk Gibson, or as my grandpa called him, "Big Boy."

Big Boy always seemed to be up when they needed a hit most and the air inside the family room of my grand parent's home was electric and filled with anxious feelings.

Often if it got too intense I think my grandpa actually turned off the television or walked away. I could here him saying things like, "it is over..." "here they go again." (I don't know if those were the words, but I remember the feeling. The idea was - "they will blow it or not come through... especially Big Boy." So just turn it off now and spare yourself the pain.)

Anyways - I am a lot like my grandpa. A bit fatalistic with the Tigers. I love them - always have - but I tend to see the glass half empty when it comes to my boys of summer.

So... fast forward to this year. I went into this year cautious - not believing the hype - not willing to say this is the year. I remember Big Boy's game ending strike outs and I have too much of my grandpa to believe. BUT - I WANT TO BELIEVE and i want them to win.

So here we are. 0-5 to start the year. Swept by the Royals. In a funk. Here we go again... just turn off the year... just walk away from another disappointment... Big Boy will whiff once again...

Before I hit the panic button I will take a deep cleansing breath and do something that is not natural for me. I will choose to be optimistic. I will choose to see the Tigers as half full. I believe they will make the playoffs (just barely). :)

I choose to keep the channel on - I will not walk away - I will watch BIG BOY take the count to 0-2 and expect him to slam a homer (which he only does for the Dodgers).

God - please bless these boys.
sd

ps - the fact I have a post this long about the Tigers is troubling.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog