Sitting on God's shoulders.


Isaiah 63:9
"In all their affliction He was afflicted,
And the Angel of His Presence saved them;
In His love and in His pity He redeemed them;
And He bore them and carried them
All the days of old. "


Deuteronomy 1:30-31
"The LORD your God, who goes before you, He will fight for you, according to all He did for you in Egypt before your eyes, and in the wilderness where you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a man carries his son, in all the way that you went until you came to this place."

In Scripture, God is described as the Creator of the world. He is called the "Father" of Israel and later by followers of Jesus. (Following redemptive moves by God: for example: the Exodus from Egypt and the work of Jesus on the Cross.) The image of God as Father is an amazing picture. (Unless your own father was a scoundral and that idea is a hard pill to swallow.) God is called the Father of the fatherless. In Isaiah you hear God calling Israel to trust in Him as the loving, rescuing, and sustaining Father. Jesus teaches us to pray by starting with, "Our Father..."

God as Father.

Did your dad ever carry you? I remember the joy I experienced riding on my father's shoulders. Feeling like you can touch the sky. Feeling secure in his grasp. Feeling favored and loved. My son Harrison asks me to pick him up and put him on my shoulders and it takes me back to my "little guy" days.

In Scripture, God describes Himself as a Father who carries His kids.

I love that picture of closeness, of joy, of security, of fun, and of love.
God
carries
you.

Not the other way around.

Pick me up,
sd

Comments

C-Man said…
thanks for the encouraging thoughts today, Deurty. It has been the week from hell for me.

it was great to hear some encouragement!
Dave Deur said…
Great visual...and a great source of encouragement. It's refreshing when we can further understand perhaps just a little piece of who God is, when we're able to connect a personal experience that is practical and relevant in our history, to His character. Show.

Popular posts from this blog