Get a move on people!

During my trip to NYC with my dad I had the opportunity to read a whole book in Central Park. Wow - a whole book. (Hooked on phonics worked for me.)

The book I read was, "Under the Unpredictable Plant" by Eugene Peterson. I chose this book because it is one of his books that deals with 'being' a pastor. The book revolves around the story of Jonah. He does a masterful job teasing the story and bringing out gems.

Anyways, I wanted to submit a quote from the book for your consideration.


"We cannot nurture the life of the Spirit in a parishioner while holding a stopwatch. We cannot apply time management techniques to the development of souls." (p.164)

I find that I am an impatient person. When it comes to working with people I tend to think about sprints instead of marathons. I like to see change and I like to see it fast. If someone isn't getting with the program (my program) I wonder what the problem is. (Maybe it's me or maybe life and spirituality is more complex than getting with a program.) But, to be a pastor is to live with people through life and to shepherd and to garden. Pastoring is not about stripping the land and throwing up spiritual strip malls that create fast cash and success. Then you are left with Jenison.

Over my fourteen years of pastoring in different ways and places I have desired to see transformation, life, and healing. Most of those fourteen years was spent wondering how to ramp something new up to get people moving toward these things. Peterson challenges me to look at being a pastor that enters the garden of people's souls and to tend to it. It can't be microwaved. It can't be forced.

Praying for a green thumb,
sd

Comments

michaelincolour said…
wow awesome video!!
Josh Jackson said…
Thought about you today which led me to your site, the first blog I ever heard of (and still the best name).

Loved the toongabbie video.
Wally Harrison said…
AMEN to the Eugene post!
Jimmy Bizbang said…
yous gots issues

Popular posts from this blog