PLEASE ALLOW ME TO WADE THROUGH SOME STUFF...

I guess I don't need to ask for permission to slowly plow through some stuff, but I wanted to give you a heads up. Last year I began to find words, books, ideas and feelings to describe and speak to what was stirring inside me. I read an amazing book and gained great insights and courage, but found all the momentum gained from this was lost in a very tough, but fruitful year.

So, I am going to take my time and try to see some positive changes take place in my life and call of being a pastor. I must be patient.

Here are some questions: What is a pastor? What is it to "succeed" as a pastor? With these questions in mind...what does a pastor's schedule look like? How does a pastor live? How can you pastor and serve without your own soul and life deteriorating and finding your self becoming bitter and angry?

I have been in some sort of pastor role since 1993 and I may be too far in to this to be asking such basic questions... AGAIN, but I don't think the first few times these questions came up were resolved with answers that aligned with how God put me together.

So - I am re-reading and taking time with two books particularly.
"The contemplative pastor" and "the unnecessary pastor" - by Eugene Peterson and Peterson and Marva Dawn respectively.
Peterson has been the most patient and helpful guide for me in the past year.
Here are the books:




My question for you: what is the role of a pastor?

Softball is pain,
sd

Comments

Anonymous said…
Brother...I can tell you what NOT to do as a Pastor and these come from "Personal Experience." Don't skim 20% off the offering, and try not to start a micro-brewery in your basement. Other than that, be accessible without killing your personal and family time, be my friend but don't be afraid to confront me when I need corrected, and be a "real" man.

God will lead you,
Troy
Dave Deur said…
Random thoughts off the top of my head. Since there's no hair, there must be something up there. Here ya go:
Be true to God and true to yourself. Don't imitate others...imitate Christ. Be teachable and moldable, and open to change and growth. Continually pray that God will make you uncomfortable and teach you about greater dependence upon Him. Be open and obedient to where the Holy Spirit is leading. Be a man of the Word, teach it, preach it, and live it.

Oh yeah...and put some money away every week to support your parents as they get older.
Nate said…
Steve,

One think I know is that you are an amazing pastor, I wish i would have soaked more of your time when we worked together. I miss out man. Sorry, for not taking advantage of the years I worked with you. You are an amazing man of God and seeing the way God has used you has been amazing. I pray for you often and always have good things to say about you. Thanks for giving me a chance at Spring lake bro.

Nate
Anonymous said…
IMHO...

A pastor should simply be there when needed.

In a well established religion such as Christianity the preaching is just background music. (everybody already knows the rules and the message)

A good pastor to me is one who listens more than preaches, and forgives more than judges.
Anonymous said…
A good pastor loves Jesus and wants to be just like Him but does'nt think he is good.

You are highly spoken of here by Mike and myself.
Anonymous said…
Let me clarify that, he thinks Jesus is good but not himself.

Popular posts from this blog