Trump this.

Money, money, money... money.
Where your treasure isn't gives a good indication of where your heart isn't.

My wife and I decided when we were first married to regularly give financially back to God a portion of what He entrusted to us. We have been faithful in this, but I have been more challenged over the past couple of years to take a second and third look at how we use money, what we spend it on, and how we can be more generous.

John Wesley posed four questions that helped him decide how to spend money:
1. In spending this money, am I acting as if I owned it, or am I acting as if I owned it, or am I acting as the Lord's trustee?
2. What Scripture requires me to spend this money this way?
3. Can I offer up this purchase as a sacrifice to the Lord?
4. Will God reward me for this expenditure at the resurrection of the just?

How could I bless others if I made some small changes?
What if I cut mochas out of my spending? I'd have about $200 a year to give toward something of significance.
What if I packed a lunch instead of ate out an extra time? I'd have an extra $150 a year to help someone out.

What if I realized that I am not the owner, but just a manager?
Then, I'll start asking: "God, how do you want me to manage what you have entrusted to me?"

I guess saving up for the ipod will have to wait another couple of years. :) I like antiques anyways.
sd

Comments

Anonymous said…
How did that quote go?

"Deliver unto Ceazar the things that are Ceazar's and unto God the things
that are God's"

Man made money, and I worked hard for it. God doesn't need it and the Church very rarely uses it wisely. (What the heck do they need stained glass, expensive architecture, artwork, and other silly things for anyway?)

I think I will use my hard earned money to make my family's life better, and if there is any left over then I will decide who gets it not the church.

That's my two cents and it's all your getting... ;-)
Deur said…
Thanks for the thoughts Big one!

I understand your frustration on how the church and money have kinda gotten twisted. Hopefully, past abuse won't determine future actions... we gotta learn. I know for me, I've had some bad bad bad experiences in the church (which makes sense when I realize no one is perfect), but I think it can be easy for me to say what I won't be and never articulate what I will be. In other words - for me - in the past I found the past bag experiences taking control of the present and who I was becoming in the future... Anyways - I can relate to some of your thoughts.

As far as working hard and making it your own way - here is an interesting quote from the Bible (but then again it doesn't mean much if God isn't real.)

Deuteronomy 8:18
“Always remember that it is the LORD your God who gives you power (literally "enables you") to become rich, and he does it to fulfill the covenant he made with your ancestors.”

Who gives us breath, life, talents, brains, etc... I guess it all comes down to where you start. God? Self?

I am glad you are making your family better - you are the Big Dog and the puppies need the loving. :)

Thanks for the two cents - I will direct it to someone in need. :)
Deur said…
"bad" not "bag" experiences :)
Dave Deur said…
In the Bible, Jesus spoke of money more than any other topic. I wonder why? Could it be because He knew money was going to always be a defining measure in his followers? Money isn't root of all evil, but the love of money is.

As followers of Christ, we're responsible for the proper, godly stewardship of His resources - personally and corporately (church). Giving back to God that which is His, is really not giving at all...rather it's an act of worship!
Give on!
Doug Witte said…
I am not sure where Josh Haveman was from. He had a younger sister named Charity, not sure if that clears anything up for ya. You talk about money, I say charity ... weird.
Anonymous said…
I've had some bad experience with the church money thing, too.
My dad quit church and did'nt go back until he found out he had cancer because of the church's hammering for money.
Some T.V. evangelists have made a complete mockery out "begging" for money..
I could go on with bad experiences but who has'nt had one in this area and others like... doctors, teachers, cops, t.v. infomercials, internet adds, "great" sales at the store, utility companies, opec oil companies, insurance salesmen, door to door sales people, family members... some of my own experiences..
but.. It's not what happens to us in life but how we respond, and I don't want to put everyone in the willy wonka "boot chute" because of those bad ones.
If it was'nt for The Salvation Army and Love inc. I would'nt have had so many blessed holidays through the years, and food to get me through the month and a place to do laundry for $4 for six loads including detergent and dryer sheets and a ear to listen when I'm troubled, Thank God for His people. I would give and hope to someday to any organization with a heart of Jesus like that.
BTW my nephew has a heart like that cause he gave to me during my hard times in the past, I have'nt forgot, thanks markie.

"Every good gift is from the Father of lights above"

Popular posts from this blog