Being a dad

Well,
I love being a dad.

I am doing swimming lessons with my two year old son. I am in the pool with him and I am trying to help him learn how to kick, be okay about getting his face wet, and reaching out with his arms to paddle. When he gets into the water he immediately crawls up my outstretched arms to my neck and puts a death grip on me. He holds me close and his panicked look goes away and is replaced with a smile.

I love being his dad - the one he holds on to in the deep end.

I know he doesn't have to fear - that he has what it takes - that I won't let anything happen to him - but all he knows is that he needs to hang on tight in the deep water.

Right now I need God to be my daddy in the deep water.

Cannonball,
sd

Comments

Deur said…
please don't pee in my pool :)
Dave Deur said…
Being a dad is definitely something special...hanging on to Daddy in deep water provides all the security I need.
Anonymous said…
Thank you for that, I needed to hear it. "Deep calls unto Deep."
Anonymous said…
graceflyer said...
Arkay said…
Dude..Delaney knows how to swim...and she still clings to me in deep water..Life is wonderful when you are a dad. By the time you teach H..it will be time to teach Willy!! LOL
Doug Witte said…
I made the Deurty blog list! I believe that's the sign that I have finally arrived ... I have nothing left to prove.

I'm still waiting for you and your wife to hook me up with that one girl ;)jk
David Drury said…
wow... the most profound thing I read at Deurty so far =
"I love being his dad - the one he holds on to in the deep end."

I am SO GOING TO PILFER THAT!

Thanks for linking The Lobby. You are my pimp.

Popular posts from this blog