Xtreme

When Vicki and I lived in Australia (1995-1997) we had the joy of leading a group of young people. We called our group, "Xtreme." Now, this was right before everything was called "xtreme" and it was the mid-nineties so cut me some slack. :)

Anyways, Vicki and I often reflect on our time in Australia. It was truly the most influential shaping experience in our lives besides getting married and having kids.

We rolled into Sydney with five months of marriage under our belt. I was twenty-three and Vicki was twenty-one. We learned how to do life together in Australia. We experienced "life together" in Metric.

Well - the little Xtreme group we gathered was born out of nothing. When we started we had one youth contact. I hung around in local schools and met some young people who agreed to hang out. We then gathered more students through a youth contact in another area. Over time this group grew and Vicki and I were able to build some great relationships with students from a variety of faith experience. It was special.

So, I cruised around the internet a little bit and found some of our students (now eleven to twelve years later!) Memories come flooding back and I find myself like a father wondering how these great young adults are doing. Praying for them. Thanking God for the time we had with them. Wishing we could sit down and catch up.

I've been a youth pastor at three different church communities (as well as a kid's pastor) and the burden I feel for past students is still there. I still find myself wishing them well, praying for them, hoping for them, dreaming for them, cheering for them, and rejoicing when I hear that they are embracing life and faith.

So - I lift up my glass of unsweetened apple juice to our first ever awesome Xtreme crew for teaching us and caring for us in more ways than you'll know. Thanks!

Driving the van to Busby,
sd

Comments

Dave Deur said…
Cheers to Brianna.
Hoisting one for Mooch.
Tipping one for Trevor.

Popular posts from this blog