Urban Amish


Am I scared of technology? I have an ipod nano, a laptop computer, a cell phone, and a van with more computing power than my old TRS Model 1 computer. Has technology made life better? Every time I am in a hospital or connect online with a long lost friend I say yes! They save time, they are used to save lives, and they make life comfortable. But, I get fatigued by the way I am connected to technology and how much I have come to depend on it... for relationships... for entertainment... for learning... and what that connection has led me to loose. (Often the very things I am hoping to gain.)

I secretly wish I could be an Urban Amish. Minus the clothes and beard that I could never grow. Yes, I know I am idealizing the simple life, but I think taking moments to reflect on if technology has made our lives better and in what ways is helpful.

What bit of technology can you not live without and how might your life change if you lost it?

I hate cell phones,
sd

Comments

C-Man said…
deurty - i am right there with you. as a techno-super freak, i am not sure where i would be. i can tell u this, i would prefer a much simplier life.
Joey V. said…
This isn't technology, well kind of, anyway, I would hate not having shavers for legs and armpits, ewwww!

Why can't we just be like you guys, who started this anyway, Cleopatra? lol...

Had a good time today, thanks :)
Anonymous said…
There's a lot of it out there I could do without, but I guess if I had to pick one thing I couldn't... It would have to be an Automobile (or some kind of powered mode of transportation)

I suppose if I could get a good paying job within 10 miles or less, I might not need one as much, but it still would be a piece of technology that would be hard to do without.
About Brandon said…
To answer your question, we'll probably be in Michigan around the first week of November.

Later on,

Brandon
Dave Deur said…
there's really nothing wrong with the advances in technology, it's our abuses of that technology. if we find ourselves abusing, we should seek help and join a ta (tech annonymous) group. Whah?

Popular posts from this blog