Saved

I have a friend who is currently in jail and I have been able to visit him and check in. Anyways, a week or so ago, Harrison asked me where I was going and I explained that I was going to visit our friend who is in jail.

Harrison said, "Are you going to save him?"

I said, "What do you mean?"

He said, "Are you going to save him?"

I said, "Do you mean help him get out of jail?"

He said, "Yes."

This exchange made me think about a couple things...
1) I was shocked to hear my four year old son use a very churchy word like "save." I wondered if I had said it around him... I realized that he wasn't talking about the "save" that I was thinking about. When he asked me if I was going to "save" our friend he was not expecting me to share the good news and have him say yes in a prayer to see him spiritually saved... that was my assumption.

2) My son thinks I have what it takes to break into a jail and set the captives free. Think action hero baby!

3) I think my boy has a more biblical view of salvation than I have held most my life. I have looked at salvation primarily as a spiritual experience that is applied to you after you die. (Saved from our sins.) I do believe this with all my heart and desire to share it. However, when you look at God as deliverer and savior in Scripture we see a God who saves all of someone. Salvation is for this life... Salvation from the slave master of addiction, from the enemy of bitterness, from the pain of injustice, etc... My friend did need saving, but it is much more than just a spiritual issue (although this is an amazing and necessary place to begin.)* My friend needs saving help to get out of jail (the jail of things he struggles with that put him in this difficult situation.)

I like Harrison's approach to salvation and I appreciate his belief that I am an action hero.

The Tigers need saving from injuries, quiet bats, and sketchy pitching,
sd

*I suppose you could say that someone needs to experience salvation from their situation before they are open to embrace or experience salvation on a spiritual level. Sure, that's cool, but I think that if someone is open and they receive the grace gift of Christ it gives a deep pool to draw from for salvation of all of them. Just a thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog