Speaking the truth in love.

On Monday we enjoyed a staff training time with Dr. Peter Newhouse.
We walked through handling conflict and how to speak the truth to others.

I was challenged again by the importance of following Biblical wisdom on dealing with issues of relational hurt and distance. The point of processing the issue personally first is important. I think it is so easy to feel something and when hurt we want instant support - so we jump on the phone and call that one person... the spouse, the parent, the friend...to spill our disappointment in someone. After processing the issue personally we next should go to God in prayer. Pete mentioned that as followers of Jesus we should be going to God before going to others. This is vital because it puts us in a position of humility and asking for a wider scope of understanding than just our feelings. Then - in accordance to Scripture - we go directly to that person and not everywhere else.

I am an avoider by nature. I let everything run off my back and into my heart where often it sits and causes bitterness, frustration, and low level anger. I have improved in truth telling over the years, but I was reminded again how important it is if I care for other people's growth and the unity of my relationships.

How about you? Who do you need to speak truth to in a humble, gentle, and kind way?

How do you often deal with conflict issues?

marked,
sd

Comments

Anonymous said…
Myself.

The truth is... If you learn from your mistakes then mellowness and wisdom will come with age.

The older I get the more stuff runs off my back and the less runs into my heart. I am learning that the bitterness, frustration and anger is from me, not what others do or say.

I have learned so far that everything works out in the end. No matter how bad things look at the moment, after it passes you look back and realize that it could have been worse and glad to be where you are.

I may not know it all but I know, in the end, all will be as it is supposed to be. Better to enjoy the trip, then to worry about what will happen when you get there.

They call me mellow yellow

MC
Deur said…
Hey Mello Yello - I am Even Steven. :)
Thanks for the thoughts oh Big one.
I agree that the frustration and anger are started by how I react and are fed by me... that was a good reminder.
David Drury said…
I'm going to avoid commenting on this post because of the subject matter.

:-)

Sounds like a great time with PN.
Dave Deur said…
Good word...good advice, but sometimes a struggle to live out. I do believe, though, that when we set good patterns in place, principles like these become part of us.

Popular posts from this blog