Hi.
I am a sinner. (That means I'm broken on the deepest levels for you non-religous types.) :) I'm not perfect - but you know that.

Anyways - here is one of my sins but also one of my most difficult issues for me... I feel like everything depends on me. That somehow I am responsible for everything. That somehow I have power and I am expected to carry everything and keep everything together. Now - what is this sin? It is prideful to think everything depends on me.

It plays out in wierd ways...

As a kid I would panic when my younger cousins would fight and I would assume responsibility for them and fear getting in trouble for not being a better rolemodel or influencing the kids better...

I always felt responsible for my friends and their actions... be the role model...

As a pastor - I would accept other people's problems, their dissappointments, their frustrations all personally like it all hinges on me.

BUT - I have proof that it all depends on me (aka: I am a god) During the Detroit Pistons Finals series with the Spurs I often would shoot hoops in my front yard before the game. I started to hit a bunch of free throws and told myself that I hd to hit eight out of ten free throws for the Pistons to win. I did not do it for games one and two and the results were losses for the Pistons. I hit 8 of ten for games 3-4 in which the Pistons won. I didn't do it for the next Pistons loss, but did make 8 of 10 for their game six win. For game 7 we were in a hurry to leave out of town and I realized I needed to hit my free throws before leaving... so while the kids were getting loaded into the mini-van I was frantically trying to make 8 of 10... Finally after Vicki's third pleading with me to go and give up my stupid free throws I stopped at hitting only 7 of 10. I got in the car and said - "it doesn't depend on me... silly." That night the Pistons lost.

So - I guess I have a bit of OCD in me - always have had a bit... :) I guess I also have a bit of "god" complex. I envy the people who can just say their peace - not really give a rip about what people think (I mean really - not pretend)... Anyways - this post sucks. :)

I find myself being put in my place more and more and praying to have pride burned out.

But, it doesn't hurt to work on your free throws...
sd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog